Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ugly Betty

I was on leave one day when I went downstairs to get lunch from my favourite Fish Soup stall. Decked in my pyjamas aka hideous outfit, I stood queuing for a good fifteen minutes before my turn, all the while my mind lost in nonsense like, “this Fish Soup auntie has a different hairstyle everytime I see her” and “this man needs a good shave”.

Finally at the front of the queue, I placed my order and prepared to pay for my food when I realized the person in front of me was a colleague who was buying lunch for his whole department. Without thinking, I tapped on his shoulder and said hi! Almost immediately, I recoiled in horror, remembering how I looked - (1) Oversized bright orange NUS t-shirt (2) thin, cheap pair of bright blue boxer shorts (3) messy curly hair and (4) the pair of faded glasses, shielding my pair of squinting eyes.

I was embarrassed beyond words as he didn’t seem to recognized me at first glance. I quickly collected my packet and attempted to slither away when he nodded at me politely. Even more embarrassing! Because he recognized me after all! Means he would remember this Ugly Betty side of me if he would bump into me at work.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG…… Why did he come all the way from OSIM to my coffeeshop?!??! Next time on my leave days I need to clean up before going downstairs just in case some R&D guys pop up again.

No comments: