Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Wonky Faints

Fainting spells keep hitting me recently. First of the recent spells was during the lunch with the girls at mid-sem break. The second was during lunch with Rudi two weeks ago. Most recent was today, on my way back home.

When I say I fainted, I don't mean I lose all consciousness and fall to the ground. When I get hit by a fainting spell, I feel giddy. My vision becomes colourful, like the many pixels of a computer monitor. The ground becomes uneven and I start to wobble. My lips turn pale and my whole body becomes weak. I need something to support myself as I walk. I need to sit down. The cause: no proper breakfast.

Witnesses of my faints were quite alarmed. They scolded me for not eating breakfast. But... but I... Look, I wake up at ten for noon classes. Give myself half an hour to brush teeth, dress and pack. Then I have to leave or I will be late. There is no time to eat breakfast! Besides, I will reach school very shortly, in 90 minutes time. Okok, 90 minutes is not exactly short. On top of my reckless behaviour (to my health), I guess the hill that Bizad is sitting on poses as a threat, since I feel giddy when I ascend stairs, or hills, or slopes when I feel weak. I'm not a weakling ok. I see soldiers collapsing at their passing out parades.

The first time I fainted was in Primary School. The principal had too much to say during a certain morning assembly and I practically slumped to the ground. Two teachers had to carry me by the arms to the sick bay. I was fed some cereal.

The second time this happened in Primary School was the rehearsal for my school's moving-to-new-campus run. All of us had to line up and welcome the runners as they arrived from the old campus in Guillemard Road. We waited under the sun in senang diri (How do I spell this?) position. Two of us couldn't take it, including me. I guess what added on to the lack of sugar in the morning was the sudden loss of iron from my body. No point being shy about this. It was the first time I had my period, I discovered later that day.

A few insignificant episodes happened throughout Secondary School. I don't remember any attacks in JC. The fainting spells became more these two years.

There was once I skipped breakfast, and took the bus at seven plus in the morning. I wouldn't have fainted if I got a seat. Unfortunately, because of the morning crowd, I had to stand. 20 minutes into the ride, I felt a familiar weakening sensation. I knew I needed to sit down, so I attempted to alight the bus to rest at a bus stop. But before I reached the door, I wobbled and almost fell, if not for the people around me. They grabbed me steady and one gave up his seat to me. I couldn't see anything and was too weak to thank them. I just laid my head and the headrest in front (something I will never do in my right mind) and tried to recuperate. It took the whole bus journey on the ECP before I regained my composure and thanked the guy who gave up his seat. Finally I reached the school bus stop and I took the same bus in the opposite direction to go home to rest.

The second time was less serious, I managed to ask someone to let me take her seat before I lost my vision and balance. Weizheng was with me then. I'm sorry to alarm him like this.

The rest of the experiences were rather similar: I didn't eat breakfast for some pathetic reason, I felt giddy, and needed to sit down. The situations varied according to where I was, who were with me and how serious the spells were. But they all happened because I didn't eat anything before that.

Today was a different story. I woke at ten and left home at twelve for a 2pm class. I knew I might faint if I didn't eat before 4, the end of the class. So I bought a packet of Pocky and a tube of Fruitips. Chocolate and sugar. But they seemed to have lost their magic. I felt giddy when I climbed up the stairs to my lecture. After the class, I quickly went to eat a box of soya beancurd, with lots of syrup. Yet I still fainted on the way home.

This is a serious issue. My body seems to be losing the ability to produce glucose badly. I think I better see a doctor for these cases seem to be occuring more frequently. Maybe I'm going to die soon. Haha. Unfortunately however, I think this is going to be very unlikely.

I guess only
Qing knows what a Wonky Faint is. By the way, if you hear me say anything unfamiliar in these few weeks, it most probably is a quote from HP. Also, I'm looking for someone to watch Goblet of Fire with me on the first screening day (17 Nov). Requirement: Must be someone who is willing to sacrifice some study time for Harry.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonky feint! hehehehehe is it Krum's trick on Quidditch? I forgot. I may be willing to watch it twice! :) Anyway take care of your body, why not do a google search to see what's wrong? I think u need more carbs with sugar in it, i suggest white bread and ham in the morning. Its fast to make and quite yummy.

chowchow said...

U fail your potter literature!! It's originally Wronski feint, Krum's diversionary tactic. Then Hermione forgot and called it the Wonky faint. Hahah, I'm so bo liao.

李老师 said...

aiyoh... try not to skip breakfast.. wake up earlier? or else have to waste $ see doc.