Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Reading on Rainy Days


Just felt like spending time with myself today after work. Usually that means window shopping and book browsing.

I went to Parkway for dinner and spied on my colleagues at my 3 outlets there. After paying my bills and doing some banking, I walked over to the Marine Parade library. I vowed not to buy books for the next 12 months in an effort to save money. To show my determination, I had refused to renew my Borders membership. Why spend on books when you can borrow from our wonderful libraries? And note, our libraries really do carry a good collection of books, even new ones.

Referring to my list of "wanted books" which I kept in my handphone, I went browsing at the shelves. I have the list with me wherever I go, in case I have a sudden urge to visit the book store or library and I dunno what to look for.

I made a beeline for Chuck Palaniuk just to check out the available books there, although my list pointed me to David Mitchell. I cannot resist a Chuck P. book. I've read a number of his books and none failed to entertain me. Just check out my Visual Bookshelf on Facebook. You can imagine how I look forward to his next book.

At home, I have American Gods by Neil Gaiman. While he is the hottest writer among my friends, I have yet to get past Chapter 4 of the book even after repeated attempts. I found it incredibly boring, or I'm just not interested in adult fantasy tales. (If there's anyone who wants to buy it from me at a cheaper price, please sms me. Price negotiable.)

Speaking of fantasies, I'm a huge fan of children fantasy, I'm sure you know already :)

There's a Youtube clip of someone giving a literary analysis of how Harry Potter is gay. Personally, I think he's reading too much into it, if I ignore the jarring clue related to Stonewall High. Play the clip to see what I mean.




By the way, did Dan Brown come up with a new book? Hui and I spotted an unfamiliar title on the faraway shores of Tioman but I couldn't find it on the web.

Anyway, back to the library, I cleared my debt before checking out the 2 books. Do you know you gotta clear your fines before you can borrow? I was amazed it took NLB so long to come up with the idea.

Now, I've got 2 books to tide me through the rainy season. Pure bliss :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just paid my library fine too... Hee...anyway I can't find the dan brown book. Did our eyes play tricks on us? -hui