Saturday, April 26, 2008

ME Time @ SAM

Being an aspiring art connoisseur, I'm always on the lookout for notable exhibitions and events. (Whether I attend or not is another matter. After all, I'm only aspiring. During every year's Art Fest, I would take the event guide and circle the shows that I wanna watch. Then I will forget about them.)

The girls and I hold a soft spot for the SAM among the other museums for reasons only we will understand (not entirely coincidentally, Tay's holding her wedding there). And I have a penchant for art pieces compared to heritage exhibits.

So one Sunday afternoon, when I strolled down Bras Basah Road alone, I decided to pop by SAM planning to see the Xu Beihong exhibit.



Recently, many of Xu Beihong's paintings are in the spotlight. Each going for record prices at auctions. I only knew of him when reading the newspapers and learnt that a number of his pieces were produced in Singapore (Nanyang).



It's fascinating to see not just how each stroke on the painting is perfect, but also to understand the story behind each piece, what the artist wanted to express and how the painting reflected his emotions at that time.



Xu Beihong is well known for his drawings of horses as each was drawn with simple yet definitive strokes. And all of them portrayed Xu's feelings of hope, lost, remorse. To be able to express your thoughts feelings through art is really the highest form of personal expression. And I truly admire those who are articulate enough to do so.

I really enjoy spending time by myself like this :) Not to say I don't like being with people la.

No comments: