Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dancing With Boss

Update 14 Aug : Boss told me that his legs ached for two days after dancing. Haha.

Recently, our Creative Director got promoted to Managing Director. He was very excited about his new post and started giving motivational talks and organising bonding activities.

He organised Club Night on National Day eve. But response was lukewarm. Partly because he's not popular with his Creative team. And mainly because my Creative people are not the party type, contrary to what you may think. They're the staid movie-goers (my movie kakis!), bowlers, pool players. Once, a freelancer asked in disbelief, "Don't you guys party at all?" But we're a bunch of guai kias and don't do what other agencies do.

Since his team was not supporting him, the suits (including me) had to go la to humour him. I might sound reluctant but the Partygirl in me got pretty excited. I hadn't danced in a while!

Once we stepped into Butter Factory just across the road, my cells started dancing and I jiggled to the music. It was apparent that the dancing diva in me couldn't wait to jump out of my skin! But it was only ten pm and the dance floor was empty, although people were surrounding the floor with drinks in their hands.

After a few drinks, my MD sashayed towards me and said, "Mel! Let's go dancing!" He then grabbed my shoulders and pushed me to the empty dance floor! I couldn't be more mortified.

Dammit. I had to be gracious about it. Besides, he was already rocking to the music, lost in his own world. So I psyched myself to forget the eyes on me and forced out my dancing soul, praying that people would join us once they saw us on the dance floor.

Twenty minutes later, we were still the only ones dancing. The old man was sweating and panting already. Then my colleagues came to announce that they were leaving the club. I took that as a cue to exit the dance floor and leave the club immediately.

Dammit. The Creative will tease me no end for dancing with their boss on Monday.

No comments: