Thursday, March 30, 2006

毕业日记 (二)

We grew up watching television showing us that graduation was a really big thing, didn’t we? ALL graduates (recall 展翅高飞 starring Michelle Chia, Cynthia Koh; Fann Wong in 新阿郎) were elated to don their graduation gowns and fling their mortarboards into the air.

Now that I am almost completing the ritual, I still have not sensed that feeling of elation. I don’t understand what the big deal is – like my birthdays, you know; I don’t particularly feel for my birthdays.

Is it because I haven’t found my years in school satisfying – like how I felt for graduating with ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels because of the intense effort I put in? Perhaps I haven’t worked hard enough this time. It was only in the past two semesters that I finally tasted the satisfaction of hard work, whether or not it brought good results. Tracy and I were saying we must be crazy to enjoy working hour to hour, taking only short naps to rest. So, without the satisfaction, my tertiary life seems incomplete.

Is it because, besides the Commencement ceremony, there is no official ending point for this phase of education, unlike the previous GCE Examinations and ceremonial chalet parties? This semester, I only have two final examinations scheduled that are well spread out. Because it won’t be exhausting to the mind and body, there will be no need to go for end of term shopping sprees. Other than my summer trip, I see no official point for me to declare: I have graduated!

Is it because, deep in my heart, I actually want to continue and further my studies? Learning has been my lifelong passion. I have been preaching many people that we go to school simply to learn. Regardless of the stuttering lecturer, the lack of resources available, the undesirable group mates, etc. we have the responsibility to thirst for additional knowledge. Indeed, if not for the constraints that I do not wish to share, I would have chosen to further my academic studies for the rest of my life.

There is no door that I can go through, or step that I can climb upon, to mark the starting of a new phase of my life. Graduation? Nah, I don’t feel for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's motar board :)

chowchow said...

Tanku~

cinewhore said...

Actually it's mortarboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortar_board

chowchow said...

Ok, thanks~