Friday, January 27, 2006

Hearthrobs

After exhibiting symptoms such as feeling giddy easily, getting hungry easily, moving bowels more often than before, craving frequently for sugary foods, Baby suggested that these might mean that I had a lack of insulin in my body. That means my body does not absorb nutrients and energy well, thus resulting in the wonky faints, incessant hunger pangs, and the regular toilet visits. Lack of insulin also means - diabetes.

That disheartening statement got me into a state of panic. And I resolved to finally visit the doctor the next day. Thank goodness I don't have to pay for the school doctor because I'm sure that the need to pay a private GP would deter me from seeking consultation.

As I sat in the waiting room of the clinic, my heart started to race. What if there was really something wrong with me? What if that resulted in escalating medical bills? What will happen to me? I was going to graduate this semester; life was only beginning!

Soon it was my turn. Wringing my hands in anxiety, I faced the doctor and explained my situation. To my horror, she did not assure me that everything was okay. Instead, she frowned and asked me under what circumstances my faints occured, if my period was regular, if I had immediately family with diabetes, if I was experiecing weight loss, if my hands trembled... I knew my hands trembled slightly. I heard it was caused by anemia, which I have always assumed was my primary condition. Anemia -> Lack of blood -> Lack of oxygen to the brain -> Giddy spells. That sounded logical to me and I accepted that explanation, never thinking my condition might be much more worse.

Anyway, I straightened my arms as told and my fingers shook slightly against my will. Then she asked me to walk a few steps, one foot in front of another, heel touching toes. I didn't know what she was looking for but I obeyed. Then I was asked to lie on the bed, pulled up my clothes, including undershirt, so that she could listen to my heartbeat properly.

But I was so nervous, my heart was palpitating. The doctor couldn't accurately measure my heart beat rate. She asked me to measure it myself, in the morning and night for seven days. Baby, smart aleck, it wasn't diabetes la. The doctor was looking out for symptoms of thyroid. Which sounds equally distressing. If my heartbeat were consistently high, I would have to go for a blood test.

If the pulse rate results showed that nothing were seriously wrong with me, it would simply mean that I was blessed with high metabolism :P

Okay... so I would finally know what my wonky faints mean in seven days' time. God bless me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

=(
worries for xiang xiang!!!
remember to measure your heartbeat regularly for the next seven days..
My lesson on friday starts only at 2pm. I can accompany you to YIH's clinic if your appointment is in the morning.

*hugs from me to xiang xiang

cinewhore said...

Maybe if you think about the Backstreet Boys concert less often your heart rate will go down...

chowchow said...

Thanks...

It's okay, the doc told me to visit her only after the 6th. Anyway, I think I prefer to go alone. Thanks so much. Will let you know how it turns out.

Unknown said...

anyway, i think thyroid problems can sometimes be seen from a protruding lump from your throat... anyway do monitor your health. take care hon!

refudgedjasen said...

oh well.. it might not be as bad as you think ya know! ;)

L.O.V.E said...

i hope everything will turn out fine. dun worry too much k? god bless!=)