Monday, January 23, 2006

A Bride's Greatest Nightmare

If she invited me to her wedding celebration, that is.

For the past two years, I attended three weddings of my cousins, and was part of the jie-mei tuan for the first two. Another of my cousins warned me not to take part in so many for it was believed that a girl who took part in more than three wedding jie-mei tuans, would stay a spinster for the rest of her life.

Well, I can't be bothered about her old wives' tale. I have so many jie-meis, I can't possibly not take part in all their wedding celebrations in the future, even if I were married before them. There's no harm in helping my cousins once or twice, since I must be part of the jie-mei tuans for all seven of my jie-meis and Baby (and maybe other close friends too, like Qing, Jo and Agnes). I'm destined to be single either way, why not accept some fat hongbaos while I can.

Ever since I acquired the skill and intuition to look nice, I made effort to shine in weddings. That was three weddings ago. I would prepare two outfits for the morning tea ceremony and the dinner in the evening. I don't like the Singapore custom of treating a wedding dinner like CNY visits. I prefer it to be much more formal than that. (For my wedding dinner, if I ever got to hold one, the dress code will be cocktail formal.) To look presentable, I even sourced dresses from my friends. And thought of setting my hair at the hair salon, although I never did.

Once I made the effort, there was no chance the bride would look better than me. But hey, don't you know it feels so good to have someone tell you, "你好靓。" I must declare that I did not intend to look better. At least not wholeheartedly. I say it was the brides' fault for not looking prettier than me.

Jingli said I would get retribution for harbouring such an evil intention. Actually, it has been my lifelong ambition to outshine all my cousins. I don't know why. Academic-wise, which hasn't taken much effort, too.

Well, the target is my cousins, not you ok. So don't worry, Hui, that I will look nicer than you. I'm sure your radiance alone on your wedding day will outshine me ten feet away.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are not even pretty.
stop acting like you are.

chowchow said...

I see someone has a humorous range of a teaspoon. I say whatever I want, wimp.

Hui said...

hey anonymous, i dare you to show your picture. I doubt you have a third of xiang's beauty..
yes, you're a wimp to have the audacity to post such hurtful comments using an anonymous identity. such despicable act.

Anonymous said...

i dont have a blog.if not,i'd gladly sign in as a blogger. i just happen to chance upon here. and i just cant stand the way she flaunts herself in almost all entries. i'm not visiting this site ever again. so ya,bye.

chowchow said...

You don't have to sign in to reveal who you are, wimp.

HAHAHAHA~ Why is someone taking my words so seriously?!? This is so crazy~ What a blast!

cinewhore said...

At least leave a name so we can fuck you over properly.

Unknown said...

LOL. I bet you have a butt of a face, anonymous.