Thursday, December 08, 2005

Hongkee Wannabes

Suddenly, we are overwhelmed by an influx of self-proclaimed "authentic" Hong Kong cafes. On the surface, their menus look quite convincing, with 奶茶、西多士、番茄鸡排饭、牛肉意粉、菠萝(叉烧)包 and so on. But, to those who know, the food pretty much sucks. The food are actually acceptable on its on. It only sucks when it labels itself as a dish from an "authentic" Hong Kong cafe. I was horrified to hear people getting all excited about a new "Hong Kong cafe" in Singapore. And I got seriously alarmed when people started praising its "novel" dishes.

Everytime I heard of a similar cafe opening, I will try it eagerly, hoping to finally have found a real cafe that sells edible memories from my (dad's) hometown. Everytime I do that with great expectations, I will be disappointed.

I tried the one at East Coast Road. My father was very excited about its opening because the only one of such a cafe was Crystal Jade Kitchen. But, it disappinted us. Its 奶茶 was appalling, too sweet. Its 番茄牛肉饭 was too salty and it has too little meat to go with the rice. Its 菠萝包 looked totally unappetising. I haven't tried its French Toast though. I won't be able to because we decided not to eat there again. I also added to myself, I will discourage people from dining there. Unfortunately, within months, it expanded two-fold, even installed with a huge plasma TV which shows ESPN.

Shortly after, another one opened in the basement of Taka. We went, hoping that its food would be as good as its name. But, its 牛肉面 was bad. Its sandwich was dry and tasteless and the food was served in stingy amounts.

From then on, my dad and I decided that Crystal Jade will always be the best. Crystal Jade's high-tea menu offers 火腿通心粉 and 奶茶 and a few more Hongkee dishes. It also serves good dim sum in the morning too. The Crystal Jade branch with the best dim sum is the one on the 5th floor of Taka, known as Crystal Jade Palace.
I'm writing in white again cos i'm stupid.
Recently, it opened a cafe, C-Jade Express (or something like that). I haven't tried it but I am pleasantly surprised at its similarity with a Hong Kong chinese fast food chain, 大家乐 and others. Although Gerald said that the goose sandwich was bad (too dry and hard), I still can't wait to try it! I hope it sells 双皮敦奶.
I'm writing in white again cos i'm stupid.
The Australian Dairy at Jordan serves the best 双皮敦奶 in Hong Kong. Try it when you go there. By the way, it may be called Australian Dairy, but it is actually a Hong Kong cafe.

Anyway, anymore of such cafes that I haven't tried? Let me know. It better live up to my tastes. And I just discovered that there is a very big "Hong Kong cafe" in Kovan. A building on its on! Maybe Wanqing wants to try it with me? But I bet we will ultimately stick with Crystal Jade.

No comments: