Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Love Of Eating And Cooking

I just caught Julie and Julia with Angela today. While I guess it would not score very high with movie critics, I think it is absolutely delightful. Perhaps it's such joy to see people enjoy their food so much, like myself. I loved Meryl Streep's adorable expressions when she ate something delicious. I suspect that's how I look when I like what I am eating. 

Actually I think I look like I enjoy my food too much. So much that people develop the perception that I eat a lot. I admit that I can plough through dish after dish if there is no one there to stop me. I am sort of a marathoner when it comes to eating. I can't do short sprints. Let me have my food slowly and I can be the last man standing at a long meal.

While I enjoy eating and eating (good food only, thank you very much), it becomes embarrassing when people start to make comments like, "I love eating with Melissa. I like to see her devour her food. Very good!" That came from my COO. And he will order a second serving of rice just for me, without asking.

And when colleagues were jokingly promoting me as a potential girlfriend for another colleague, his first reaction was, "No lah! Melissa eats too much!"

And when opening a time capsule put together with the girls 5 years ago, I read that one of the messages calls me "Chowchow the bottomless pit".

Or towards the end of a meal, when everyone can't finish the last piece of food on every dish, "Don't worry, Melissa can polish it off."

Once and for all, I wanna announce that I am going to shake this label off! Please do not encourage me to clear the food left on the table. I need to train my stomach to expect less food every meal.

As for love of cooking, I have zero talent/patience for it. Leave it to my boo to savour that. I will handle the eating part. 

No comments: