Friday, March 27, 2009

Chowchow The Shepherd

"People from all over the world have passed through this village, son," said his father. "They come in search of new things, but when they leave they are basically the same people they were when they arrived. They climbed the mountain to see the castle, and they wind up thinking that the past was better than what we have now. They have blond hair, or dark skin, but basically they're the same as the people who live right here."

"But I'd like to see the castles in the towns where they live," the boy said explained.

"Those people, when they see our land, say that they would like to live here forever," his father continued.

"Well, I'd like to see their land and how they live," said his son.

"The people who come here have a lot of money to spend, so they can afford to travel," his father said. "Amongst us, the ones that really travel are shepherds."

"Well, then I'll be a shepherd!"

His father said no more. The next day, he gave his son a pouch that held three ancient Spanish gold coins.

"I found these in the fields. I wanted them to be a part of your inheritance. But use them to buy your flock. Take to the fields, and someday you'll learn that our country-side is the best, and our women the most beautiful."
- The Alchemist, Paul Coelho

Well, then I'll be a shepherd too! If that's what it takes for me to learn that our country-side is the best, and the women most beautiful. I just lack the three ancient Spanish gold coins to buy myself a flock of sheep.

No comments: