Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ahem Excuse Me!

Once I start coughing, I'll be coughing for at least 3 months. During this period, my every sentence will be punctuated with coughs. I usually try to suppress it to "ahem" instead of going "Hack hack haack". It is most irritating.

Once, I had dinner at a food centre. Being dinner time, it was very crowded and it was common to share tables. I shared my table with a man who was eating mutton soup like me.

Just when I was chewing my food, I had a huge urge to cough and clear my throat. Because there was food in my mouth, I force my mouth shut and tried to restrain my cough. I should have known, my cough was a dragon which was trying to be unleashed from the dungeons. It exploded.

Bits of food flew and landed in the man's hair and soup and god knows where. Like in a Stephen Chow's comedy - it all happened in slow motion. Add in ridiculous sound effects, and it would have been hilarious.

It's an understatement to say I was mortified. It took the man 3 seconds to react. His face contorted into anger and flicked the specks of rice that landed on his hair with utmost disgust. If he was a girl, he would be screaming his head off. I was stunned.

Thank goodness the Boyfriend was with me. The chivalrous knight in shining armour. My Prince Charming on a gleaming white horse. While he looked at me in amazement, he immediately apologised profusely and ordered a new set of mutton soup for the man.

I tried to be invisible. My boo had to drag me away from the table.

And now, he makes sure I never forget this by reminding every now and then. Oh, I have such a miserable life.

No comments: