Wednesday, August 09, 2006

On National Day, We Are Singapore

When I was six, I debuted on national television in the We Are Singapore video. You must have had glimpses of me in the next ten years.

Every year, only I in the family bothered about the flag. I put it up irregarding my neighbour's trecherous cactus which threatens to poke me with its needles just under my arms. Clumsy me was indeed poked once. I wailed in horror when I saw the many needles sticking out of my elbow. Oh, the pain I go through, just to fly our flag.

I have never watched the NDP as a spectator but have spent long hours rehearsing for it as a performer in 2001.

I have been serving my community for more than two years.

I know at least 90% of our National Day songs.

On the eve of National Day, all the kids were dressed in red and invading Tampines Mall (and other malls) at 1pm. Not realising this, I was also clad in red.

On the morning of National Day, it was rainy and cool. I wore a jacket to breakfast. I did not realise until I reached the restaurant, that my jacket was red.

The little things I do may just be simple gestures, perhaps not good enough to prove my loyalty. I wonder how much my patriotism can be stretched, in times of difficulty, in times of war. But for now, it makes me smile, to be part of the patriotic spirit.

Note to foreigners: If you plan to visit Singapore, come at this time of the year. It is a spectacular season when flags fly, spirits soar. And you get to see a lot of fireworks. Luverly :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely the sole purpose of this post is to show your picture ;P

chowchow said...

-_- who you?

Anonymous said...

really nice 2 c singaporean so concern about singapore........hope 1 day singapore roars!!!!!!