Monday, July 03, 2006

A Day As A Geek

The day has come for me to spend the day outside in my geeky spectacles. The geeky specs with super thick, and badly scratched lenses, fading frame colour and bits of algae. Gross. The geeky specs that should never see the light of day.

I want to get a new pair of specs this week, thus I need to relieve my eyes from contact lenses for a couple of days for an accurate eye examination. With one more library book left to read, I planned to spend the two days hibernating at home. Until I remembered I was meeting Siyi for lunch today.

For a moment, I thought of cancelling the lunch date but decided not to, since we were only meeting at neighbourly Tampines. Besides, Siyi has seen me in my geeky getup before; I figured that she wouldn't mind the fugly specs.

On the way to lunch, a hot girl boarded the bus. I thought, Darn, without my specs, I am as hot as her lor. But with the specs, my hotness level plunged to near zero, so I attempted to blend into the bus seat.

Other than Siyi, I vowed to run into no one familiar. If I were to see someone I knew coming my way, I was to head in the other direction. Good plan! But not workable if the person I knew was in the same lift as me, which was what happened. Okay... that person was only a parent from the RC... But who knows, she might be planning to introduce her handsome and eligible nephew to me. Now, my golden opportunity has been thwarted by my ugly specs, and the ugly outfit that went with the ugly specs!

After (a yucky) lunch, Siyi returned to work. I milled around the area, asked Agnes if she needed me to buy lunch for her (an offer which she politely declined), and made my way to the regional library. There was no where better to spend the blazing afternoon in geeky specs other than our cosy library, right?

It was in this wonderful library that I chanced upon some gems that were usually on loan and under reservation. What luck! Skipping happily, I returned home armed with, among others, Soseki's I Am A Cat and The Time Traveler's Wife. If The Time Traveler's Wife is as wonderful as what Wanqing claimed ("Better than Life of Pi and Middlesex"), I am in for a treat! For I love the two books. Incidentally, if you want to read Life Of Pi and/or Middlesex, especially Ong Hui, get it from me. Spread the bookness~

And speaking of spreading the bookness, I am collecting a second set of Harry Potter books for my little cousin back in HK. If you want to sell yours (I cannot fathom why), any of the books, at a price lower than the bookstores, let me know.

Okay, the next friend who sees me in my fugly specs can only be Hui Ding who is taking me to her optician. Oh, and knight in shining armour, Sir Dewei, who will be protecting bespectacled and nerdy looking Princess Xiangxiang (title conferred by Her Highness Agnes) from the cable techinician tomorrow morning :D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Xiang, ur dad interested???

Dear all,

We are currently urgently looking for the following MALE individual to take on an advertisement survey.

Age: 25 to 29 only – group 1

Age: 40 and above – group 2

They need to fulfill the following criteria to take part.

Speak English for group 1

Speak Mandarin or at least can understand basic Mandarin on TV and converse in English is ok. For group 2

MALE only

No Muslim (against the rule to)

Drink at least 4 glasses or cans of beers or Stout per week

Drink at least 1 time per week in coffee shop, hawker, pubs etc

Above $1000 personal income

Details:

We will call them up to screen them on some preference statement/habits and if successfully screen, they will need to come into our office at Golden Shoe Car park at an appointed date and time for a 20 mins to watch an advertisement and be surveyed.

Incentive for respondent - $30 cash upon survey immediately

Referral fee for successfully screened and INTERVIEWED recommendation $20 per case

Interested referrals, kindly email to bernice@joshuaresearch.com

With names, ages and contact numbers ASAP as the survey is on going till coming Sunday. Appointments start from 10am to 10pm daily and for weekends.

For more information, please contact Bernice at 68767066 (DID) or SMS at 94573114 with BEER survey, and I will return call after office hours.

chowchow said...

Wahahaha.. What makes you think my pap drinks at least 4 cans of beer a week?? I asked already. He's not interested, thinks $30 too little.

Ivan said...

Aiyah, should have decided to go library today, then can see you in your nerdy specs.

chowchow said...

>P

李老师 said...

er... i think i look more fugly than ya in specs. wahaha lets meet again if possible!=)